Date:      Mon, 27 Aug 2001 15:27:22 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Steve Dobbs <sdobbs@stupid.com>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: KDE2.2 build problems

Steve Dobbs wrote:

> I get kdebase-2.2 and kdelibs-2.1 (and kdelist-1.1.2_2) when I run the make search, but I'm not sure what this portsdb is that you speak of.  I looked for it on my system and didn't find it.

You have to have installed portupgrade before you have a portsdb. The
directory is /usr/ports/sysutils/portupgrade.

I have a function that I call search. It is

crystal# cd /root/bin
crystal# cat search
#! /bin/sh
cd /usr/ports
make search name=$1

That lets you search the port INDEX from any convient location.

I typed the make search and then watched the screen scroll by. I
didn't realize that kde was in so many names. I typically type "search
kdelibs" and that keeps it to a single screen.

When I install kde-x.x, I first remove any of the older versions. I do
something like

pkg_info | grep kde > kderm

Then I use vi to convert the lines into something that looks like

pkg_delete -f kde-2.1.1

I also add "#! /bin/sh" as the first line.

When you finish editing, you need to chmod it so you can run it. You
also need to do this for anything that uses kdelibs, such as koffice
and etc.

You need the latest versions of the b-deps. You can see what they are
by doing the make search on kdelibs-2. The list is pretty long. It is
easier if you do this from a different computer. You can have multiple
sessions running.

If you can build and install kdelibs-2.2_1, the rest are easy. If you
don't have a previous version installed, this is overkill. Just use
"search kdelibs" and make sure you have current b-deps. That b-deps is
a line from "make search". You also need current r-deps but one thing
at a time.

Kent