Date:      Mon, 19 Jun 2000 15:33:43 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        ponomare@uni-duesseldorf.de
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: make buildworld

Kirill Ponomarew wrote:

> sorry maybe my question is fool (I'm working with FreeBSD only 1 month) but
> what is the main difference between make buildworld and make mergemaster ?
> As far as I understood make buildworld refresh almost everything on the system
> and make mergemaster refresh /etc directory ?
>
> I've cleaned /usr/obj directory and made cvsup manual:
> $bash cvsup /usr/share/examples/cvsup/standard-supfile
> $bash cvsup /usr/share/examples/cvsup/secure-supfile
> $bash cd /usr/src
> $bash make buildworld

Mergemaster is a shell script that compares your /etc against what is
expected by the new make world. You either do it manually or use an
automated procedure. Mergemaster is the automated procedure.

My make world sequence is

make buildworld
config and make kernal and install it.
reboot to single user mode and make installworld
run mergemaster and reboot

I do it this way because if the new kernel doesn't work, I can still
boot /kernel.old and have a working system that I can use repair the
new damage. Once you installworld, that isn't true. A recovery is
called a clean install :).

My first encounter with mergemaster was at 3.2-RC. Changes were coming
faster than I could build and install. Someone suggested I use
mergemaster and I found I could keep up. I could make my world, a new
kernal in around an hour. A manual compare of /etc to the one in /tmp
was taking 3 or 4 hours. There wasn't any question in my mind as to
what was more effective :).

Kent

> /usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/cc/cc1plus/../cc_int/libcc_int.a(c-decl.o): In function `finish_struct':
> c-decl.o(.text+0x6ae8): multiple definition of `finish_struct'
> class.o(.text+0x4f94): first defined here
> /usr/libexec/elf/ld: Warning: size of symbol `finish_struct' changed from 286 to 1572 in c-decl.o
> /usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/cc/cc1plus/../cc_int/libcc_int.a(c-decl.o)(.data+0x58): multiple definition of `dollars_in_ident'
> decl2.o(.data+0x3c): first defined here
> /usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/cc/cc1plus/../cc_int/libcc_int.a(c-decl.o): In function `print_lang_identifier':
>
> and on the same place I've got the same error
>
> Kent Stewart wrote:
>
> | I've never used a "make upgrade" to go from a release to a stable. I
> | have only cd'ed to src/ and did a "make buildworld". I usually do a
> | "time make buildworld" so that I can see how long it takes. The main
> | thing on 4.0-R to 4.0-S is upgrading your /etc files when you get
> | through. I use mergemaster to do that. You might have to cd /usr/obj
> | and clean it out. I usually rm -rf *, and then chflag the tree and
> | then do a 2nd rm. The rm is already in the history and can be "!"
> | selected. There are only 4 files that have to be chflag'ed and there
> | isn't any point in doing all of the files. This makes the whole
> | process a little bit faster.
>
> --
> Kirill Ponomarew

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

SETI(Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) @ HOME
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

Hunting Archibald Stewart, b 1802 in Ballymena, Antrim Co., NIR
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/genealogy/archibald_stewart.html