Date:      Sat, 7 Sep 2002 12:12:57 -0700
From:      Ulf Zimmermann <ulf@Alameda.net>
To:        douglasv <douglasv@verizon.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: apache-modssl

Redirected to -questions:

Your problem might be with the dummy SSL certificate which
Apache13-mod_ssl installs. IE is unfortunatly not very good
about error messages and I have seen it more then once just
fail with "Page can't be displayed/DNS or Server failure" instead
of complaining that the certificate has issues (unknown issuer, etc.)

You can try to generate your own signing authority (CA.pl is a script
included in openssl, which is part of the base system, to do so), you
can then import that CA cert into IE and generate a certificate for your
website.

--
Regards, Ulf.