Date:      Sat, 31 Aug 2002 08:00:00 -0400
From:      Jim Brown <jpb@sixshooter.v6.thrupoint.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and Windows 2000

* Raymond Law <rlaw@vt.edu> [2002-08-31 04:08]:
> I installed Windows 2000 on the first hard drive and FreeBSD on the second
> hard drive, then got the "limited virtual memory" error when logging on to
> Windows 2000.  I had to switch the hard drives and install Windows 2000 on
> my FreeBSD drive, and then switch the hard drives back again and swapped
> the drive letters to restore Windows 2000.
>
> What I did was to install FreeBSD on the second hard drive, leaving the
> first hard for Windows 2000 (NTFS).  I also installed the FreeBSD boot
> manager on the MBR of my first hard drive.  This worked when I had Windows
> 98 on my first hard drive with FAT32.  Is there any necessary steps for
> installing FreeBSD with existing Windows 2000 that I might have
> missed?  Thank you.
>
> Ray,

If the Windows 2000 system originally came with 2 hard drives, there
is a good chance that Virtual Memory was set up to use the 2nd drive.
See ControlPanel->SystemProperties->PerformanceOptions->VirtualMemory
and hit the change button to see the original setting.

Sounds like when you installed FreeBSD on the second disk, you
overwrote the W2K Paging File.  Windows then gave you the 'limited
virtual memory' warning.

Not sure of your configuration now- as I had trouble following the
above description.

You should be able to set up W2K on one disk, and set the Paging File
to use some space (Initial,Maximum) on the same disk (c:).
Let FreeBSD install on the other disk.  Use BootEasy to boot between them.

"That Should Work(TM)".

Might want to have your W2K installation media in case you really fuc^h^h^h
uh, need it.

HTH,
jpb
===