Date:      Wed, 19 Jul 2017 22:07:00 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Valeri Galtsev" <galtsev@kicp.uchicago.edu>
To:        "Boris Samorodov" <bsam@passap.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Lagg eth+WiFi configuration - works but not "by the book"

On Wed, July 19, 2017 1:42 pm, Boris Samorodov wrote:
> 19.07.2017 18:16, Valeri Galtsev пишет:
>> Dear Experts,
>> I run FreeBSD on my laptop for a couple of years at least, but finally
>> decided to climb off the tree, and configure networking right. Namely:
make a single configuration, and have it using wired connection when
available, and wireless when disconnected from wired network. Lagg with
failover from wired to wireless seems to be right thing, so I followed
brilliant FreeBSD handbook:
>> https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/network-aggregation.html
>> Which never worked for me (WiFi claimed authentication failure), even
though each of connections enabled one at a time worked well.

> Recently there was a similar discussion at freebsd-current@ ML with
subject "Failover Mode Between Ethernet and Wireless Interfaces broken on
>= 11".
>
>> I have found workaround: Instead of starting wlan0 with MAC address of
wired adapter as described in handbook, I did the opposite and started
wired interface with MAC address of wireless, then created lagg, - did the
>> rest by the book. Which works nicely, I'll paste my /etc/rc.conf below
in
>> case someone has trouble I had.
>> I wonder what I was doing wrong when I followed the handbook and it
didn't
>> work for me. Any obvious "pilot error"?
>> Here is relevant portion of my working /etc/rc.conf (with obfuscated
MAC
>> address, note that MAC address I start wired card with
70:18:8b:XX:XX:XX
>> is MAC address that WiFi card has):
>> ifconfig
>> wlan0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu
1500
>> 	ether 70:18:8b:XX:XX:XX
>> cat /etc/rc.conf
>> ifconfig_em0="up"
>> ifconfig_em0="ether 70:18:8b:XX:XX:XX"
>> wlans_ath0="wlan0"
>> ifconfig_wlan0="WPA"
>> create_args_wlan0="country US"
>> cloned_interfaces="lagg0"
>> ifconfig_lagg0="up laggproto failover laggport em0 laggport wlan0 DHCP"
>
> You didn't show the configuration that failed to work for you. I use
almost configuration as at the Handbook but the line after the
> "create_args_wlan0" line:
> ---
> ifconfig_wlan0=up
> ---

My fault. Here is portion of /etc/rc.conf done by the book (by me...) that
didn't work for me (MAC address of my wired interface is obfuscated):

---
ifconfig_em0="up"
wlans_ath0="wlan0"
ifconfig_wlan0="WPA"
create_args_wlan0="wlanaddr 00:21:70:XX:XX:XX"
cloned_interfaces="lagg0"
ifconfig_lagg0="up laggproto failover laggport em0 laggport wlan0 DHCP"
---

I modified it as you suggested (any mistakes?):

---
ifconfig_em0="up"
wlans_ath0="wlan0"
ifconfig_wlan0="WPA"
create_args_wlan0="wlanaddr 00:21:70:XX:XX:XX"
ifconfig_wlan0=up
cloned_interfaces="lagg0"
ifconfig_lagg0="up laggproto failover laggport em0 laggport wlan0 DHCP" ---
---

But it didn't help: still "no carrier".
I also tried to add "country US" to args as folloows:

---
create_args_wlan0="wlanaddr 00:21:70:e9:ff:97 country US"
---

(did I screw up with syntax here?) which didn't help either (I have
"country US" in my working  configuration, but it seems I don't need it as
starting wireless on its own without using lagg works without this option.

Thanks, Boris for your help. I still have a feeling I am doing something
wrong. But luckily, I have working workaround (having wired interface with
MAC address of wireless - as opposed to what handbook describes), so I did
successfully climbed down off the tree (or out of cave ;-) and made my
FreeBSD laptop use wired and wireless connections intelligently (as my
macintosh does).

Thanks.
Valeri