Date:      Fri, 22 Jun 2001 20:28:54 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Nick Sayer <nsayer@quack.kfu.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Let me drool a lil' bit about fbsd5

Nick Sayer <nsayer@quack.kfu.com> types:
> The big changes happening in -current are almost too numerous to list. I
> will mention a few I can think of, but I'm sure to miss a few. Note that
> at the moment most of these features are rather early in their
> development cycle. -current is not approprate for users who are not
> prepared to deal with a bumpy ride.

That's pretty much why I didn't reply myself.

> Replacment of the SMP "giant" lock with localized locking. Currently
> much of the kernel is not thread-safe.

SMPng is a *major* change, with lots of things associated with it. For
instance, /dev/random uses kernel threads (which need SMPng) to
collect entropy from various device drivers, so hopefully we get
cryptographically secure random numbers for cheap.

The functionality of md, mfs and vn have been merged, and improved.

devfs not only works, but is the default. This means that MAKEDEV is
no longer needed for the standard install.

	<mike