Date:      Wed, 16 Aug 2000 14:30:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.osd.bsdi.com>
Cc:        David DeTinne <david@allunix.com>, freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: your mail

> > Jordan- what's the status of the BSDi merge && a sparc port? I sort of though
> > that something that works would then "just arrive"?
>
> You mean the BSD/OS merge?  Well, people have taken on the SMPng bits
> and that project appears to be progressing nicely.  Nobody has taken
> on the SPARC bits, however, and I can only point out that lack of
> reference SPARC bits from another BSD implementation has never been
> the problem here.  We've had both NetBSD and OpenBSD to serve that
> purpose for a long time but nobody who actually wanted to do the work
> step forward and do it.  You've been around this biz long enough to
> know that bits never "just arrive", they have to be carried in on a
> stretcher and sent straight to triage. :)

Well, since the SMP stuff seemed to have been assigned/self-assigned, I
assumed that somebody else, like maybe Chris, would become the stretcher
bearer to come in and bless FreeBSD with.

I wasn't saying "arrived" as in "out of the ether comes protons...". I was
saying arrived as in the majordomo tinkling a bell and announcing, "The
countess BSDi/SPARC, with retinue"

-matt