Date:      Tue, 03 Oct 2000 10:58:30 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Christopher Masto <chris@netmonger.net>
Cc:        Paul Richards <paul@originative.co.uk>, Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>, Joseph Scott <joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu>, Brian Somers <brian@FreeBSD.ORG>, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.ORG, cvs-all@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/usr.bin/finger finger.c

In message <20001003124008.A4892@netmonger.net> Christopher Masto writes:
: The problem with being too cautious is that stable becomes unusable
: and people who shouldn't be running current start moving to it because
: stable doesn't support their new laptop.

That's a compelling reason.  However, rushing it into stable to keep
one or two people from running -current isn't in our best interests
either.  You'll notice that I say you need two people to check the
code.  If you can't find two people to check the code, then nobody
cares enough for it to go into stable.  Two people.  I didn't say two
committers, but two people who can review the code.  If you can't meet
that low threshold, then you shouldn't merge the new feature.  Period.

: I think it's important to push _some_ features into stable.  Having to
: wait several years for the next major "point-oh" release of FreeBSD
: (which comes with "point-oh fear" holding it back) is not the best
: way to do things.  IMO.  There's a place between these two extremes
: of paranoia and wild abandon, and I think that's where the MFCs should
: take place.

I don't advocate paranoia.  I advocate caution and good engineering
practices before code can be allowed into MFC, especially new
features.  We used to be really good about this and as we've grown the
cautious merge into -stable ethic has become diluted.  It is time to
tighten things down for a while again.  The finger thing has shown
that the current practices are too loose.

Warner