Date:      Wed, 8 Nov 2000 15:07:16 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@scsiguy.com>
Cc:        Bill Paul <wpaul@FreeBSD.ORG>, Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vx driver patch

On Wed, 8 Nov 2000, Justin T. Gibbs wrote:
> Speaking of that, I'd like to see the EISA code move to be
> more like PCI.  We should see if there is something at slot
> 0 and only then attempt to probe for sub-devices on the bus.

Humm...  I've got EISA BIOS extension code that correctly returns IDs but
not resources for a given slot.  I suspect that nobody actually
implemented that part of the spec.

> The only reason this isn't done is because I, due to the
> fledgling nature of the EISA code and the ahc VL card's
> almost looking like EISA cards, did the wrong thing here.
> We also need to be verifying that io ranges required to
> probe for slots are not already claimed by other devices
> before we blindly access them.  For this to all work with
> the VL ahc cards, the EISA code will have to release all
> resources associated with empty slots and the ahc driver will
> have to grow an ISA front end.

The EISA code currently doesn't reserve resources for empty slots.

I'd like to make the bus driver reserve all EISA specific address space
though.

> I'm willing to help out on this work (still have a functional EISA
> machine), but I stopped short last time over concern on how to support
> Alpha/PA-RISC machines that might have multiple EISA busses.

I can't see how multiple EISA busses would be possible.  While a PCI-EISA
bridge might make it easier, you've only got one valid set of IO port
ranges and ELCR ports.  I suppose you could remap the address space but
who needs more than 10 EISA slots anyway?

> >I've got uncommitted code that ties it to the ELCR.
>
> Is this stuff documented anywhere?  I've always wanted to gain access
> to the aic7xxx card's nonvolatile region in the ELCR, but I could
> never find out how to do this.

Humm...

Try ftp://ftp.jurai.net/users/winter/eisabook.zip

I can't remember where I got it at the moment but its a pretty good
reference.

> >Bus front end code shouldn't have to know about level/edge triggered IRQs.
>
> So long as the ELCR is guaranteed to work.

It is.

I've been running the code for almost 6 months.

--
| Matthew N. Dodd  | '78 Datsun 280Z | '75 Volvo 164E | FreeBSD/NetBSD  |
| winter@jurai.net |       2 x '84 Volvo 245DL        | ix86,sparc,pmax |