Date:      Sat, 10 Feb 2001 21:44:26 +0100 (CET)
From:      Konrad Heuer <kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de>
To:        Indigo <Indigo@neo.rr.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Installing FreeBSD Problems

On Sat, 10 Feb 2001, Indigo wrote:

> Ok, I made the boot floppies. I copied all the bin's. I made a ton of
> discs. I cannot install FreeBSD, and the instructions provided don't
> work. The installer says it can't find [insert name of necessary file]
> on fd0. It can't find anything. Here's my situation:
>
> I have a laptop that can run FreeBSD. I'd like to try FreeBSD, but I
> can't. The laptop can only have a floppy drive XOR a CDROM drive in it.
> It also CANNOT boot to CD. It has Phoenix BIOS, which sux.

Why don't you copy the binary base distribution files (bin subdirectory)
under DOS/Windows (don't you run it?) from CD to a DOS partition of your
hard disk? You'll only need to two floppy disks then (kernel and mfs root)
then for booting; and you will be able to add more stuff later when
booting FreeBSD from your hard disk if you plug in the CDROM drive then.

Please the read the section of the handbook describing installation from a
DOS partition if you are interested in trying that.

Regards

Konrad Heuer                                    Personal Bookmarks:
Gesellschaft f=FCr wissenschaftliche
   Datenverarbeitung mbH G=D6ttingen              http://www.freebsd.org
Am Fa=DFberg, D-37077 G=D6ttingen                   http://www.daemonnews.o=
rg