Date:      Sat, 24 Mar 2001 12:40:58 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Gash <gashalot@gashalot.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Java display errors - FreeBSD JDK1.2.2beta, Linux JDK 1.3.0

I have noticed that my versions of Java on FreeBSD are unable to display
any GUI-based applications.  When the application loads, I am prompted
with a new window that is the correct size and placement, yet it
contains nothing but a large black block inside of the window.  The
applications I am using work perfectly on Linux machines running the Sun
JDK as well as Windows machines (both on 1.2.2 and 1.3.0).  What could
be causing this problem?  It affects both the FreeBSD 1.2.2 beta JDK as
well as the Sun 1.3.0 Linux JDK.

Text-based applications work fine, and Java does not generate any
compile or runtime options, it just fails to display the applet
properly when a GUI is present.

Here's a URL with an example:

http://dorm.gashalot.com/~gashalot/freebsd-java-error.jpg

As you can see, the large black square should be an application, you can
see what the application looks like here (nothing fancy):

http://dorm.gashalot.com/~gashalot/windows-correct-java.jpg

I can think of no reason this display would not be working properly,
does anyone have any idea?  I've installed using the FreeBSD ports both
times, and I built JDK 1.2.2 for FreeBSD from source using the port.

Here's a little about the machine:
 FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE (kernel built on 1/17/01)
 PII 400, 128M RAM
 XFree86 3.3.6, using vncserver to access
 Running Java versions:
   java version "1.2.2"
   Classic VM (build jdk1.2.2-FreeBSD:root:2000/11/04-19:05, green threads,
   nojit)

   java version "1.3.0"
   Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.3.0)

Thanks for any insight you might be able to provide in advance.
 -R

- --
Robert Gash - CS Major    \  gashalot@gashalot.com - gte393u@prism
Georgia Tech - Atlanta GA  \  www.gashalot.com - www.techwreck.net
CS1311 Scheme Teaching Asst \  pgp keys - gashalot.com/pgpkeys.txt
"Sometimes the heart sees what is invisible to the eye" -H J Brown