Date:      Sat, 28 Oct 2000 16:47:42 -0700
From:      Ras-Sol <ras-sol@usa.net>
To:        Dimitri <dbakopanos@sympatico.ca>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: PPPoE

Dimitri wrote:

>         Good day,
>
> I have tried repeatively to use the PPPoE client on my installation of
> FreeBSD 4.1 and failed each and every time. I have even went so far as to
> copy and paste the your sample configuration file from your tutorials online
> and still no go.  What I'm trying to set up is a basic firewall/proxy server
> for the rest of my computers to connect to and have it heavily fortified
> against attacks.

Ok, when I was running this setup- thats exactly what I did as well.

> I have two dlink cards inside my computer both of which are
> pci. The newer one is a DFE-538TX FastEthernet (rl0) and the older one is a
> de-528 PCI Ehternet card (the system is seeing it as ed0). Now I have tried
> to set the IRQ and I/O values to each card but there isn't a utility that
> will allow me to write to the EEPROM.

Hmmm- since these are PCI isn't this handled by the OS?
Anyway- I used 2 ISA NE2000 compatibles.
(So I had to run DOS utils to set the IRQs etc)

> I would like to know, do I have to
> have an IP address assigned to the interface?

Yes, I believe you do-
However when PPP is running is assigns it's negotiated address to
tun0(?)-
And then pipes it out whatever interface you tell it to-
I dnno if it's required, but mine was working just fine that way.

> Secondly, how do I configure
> the system to read my second card at the IRQ and I/O input values that I
> have specified?

I simply just recompiled the kernel (since I wanted to lighten it
anyway)-
But there is probably some way to do it semi-dynamically.
(Like the boot disks do, with the config editor)