Date:      Sun, 20 Sep 1998 22:33:03 +0000
From:      Nicolas Souchu <Nicolas.Souchu@prism.uvsq.fr>
To:        Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>
Cc:        FreeBSD Current <current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Zip drives/vpo0 device [LONG: LOG]

On Sun, Sep 20, 1998 at 08:30:09PM +0200, Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai wrote:

>At 21:35 20-09-98 , Nicolas Souchu wrote:
>>On Sun, Sep 20, 1998 at 03:48:37PM +0200, Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai wrote:
>>>I have been trying to use the vpo0/ppbus device/controller with CURRENT and
>>>my Zip Plus and have thus far failed miserably...
>>>
>>>I have recompiled my kernel with the ppbus/vpo/ppi and scbus and sd
>>>controllers and devices...
>>
>>Hmm, here is my target config, compare.
>>
>># SCSI stuff for vpo
>>#
>>controller      scbus0
>>
>>options         SCSI_REPORT_GEOMETRY
>>
>>device          da0
>>device          pass0   #CAM passthrough driver
>
>ignoring CAM for the moment =), what's da0? I haven't managed to CVSup my
>May SNAP yet... Still struggling with ppp. Pointers are welcome =) Already
>read too many out of date docs...

You should ask to -question mailing list about ppp.

You'll need -current for the ZIP+. Your snap is too old, ZIP+ driver was
commited this week.

>>controller      ppbus0
>>controller      vpo0    at ppbus?
>>
>>device          nlpt0   at ppbus?
>>device          ppi0    at ppbus?
>>device          plip0   at ppbus?
>>
>>controller      ppc0    at isa? port 0x278 tty irq 7 vector ppcintr
>
>Aha, that ppc0 wasn't clear to me, included it now...

The ppbus system is alike the scsi bus. You need generic bus code (ppbus),
a driver (vpo) and an interface (ppc0). You should download at least a newer
LINT file in order to read the comments. I know... I have to finish the
manpages :)

>dmesg output:
>
>ppc0 at 0x278 irq 7 on isa
>ppc0: Generic chipset in PS/2 mode
>
>Hmmm, I only have the options to set the parallel port to: Normal,
>Bi-directional and ECP. Any hints for the best throughput?

EPP is best, ECP useless for ZIP[+], PS/2 and then NIBBLE otherwise.

Please, upgrade your system, then ask me again.

--
Nicolas.Souchu@prism.uvsq.fr
FreeBSD - Turning PCs into workstations - http://www.FreeBSD.org