Date:      Fri, 11 Oct 2002 17:54:52 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Bleichert <syborg@stny.rr.com>
To:        Wolfgang Zeikat <w.zeikat@hamburg.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Subject: java plugin for mozilla 1.1 on FBSD 4.7?

On Fri, 11 Oct 2002, Wolfgang Zeikat wrote:

> Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 22:45:14 +0200
> From: Wolfgang Zeikat <w.zeikat@hamburg.de>
> To: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject: Subject: java plugin for mozilla 1.1 on FBSD 4.7?
>
> Cc: gnome@FreeBSD.org
>

> hi,
> i installed the mozilla-devel port in freebsd 4.7, it shows no plugins
> installed at all, and now i wonder where to get/how to install a java plugin
> and plugins for flash, real player stuff and pdf.
>
> i have linux-netscape-navigator-4.79 installed, can i use it's plugins with
> mozilla 1.1?
>
> mozilla starts with the error:
> LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library
> /usr/local/jdk1.3.1/jre/plugin/i386/ns600/libjavaplugin_oji.so &#91;Cannot
> open "/usr/local/jdk1.3.1/jre/plugin/i386/ns600/libjavaplugin_oji.so"&#93;
>
> the java/jre port seems to be version jre1.1.8, should that be installed (it
> had security issues didn't it)?
>
> regards,
> wolfgang

One way to get that plugin is to install the FreeBSD port of JDK 1.3.1 -
this is an arduous process, but works very well when done. There's a lot
of manual schlepping to be done, due I believe, to the license.

I installed it, it took about 2 beers to build and setup worked fine! I'm
running native mozilla 1.2a, and I have it linked to the plugin in
<java>/ns610 and it works fine.

(HA! a lot to go through for a native plugin ...:)

HTH - JB

#  John Bleichert
#  http://vonbek.dhs.org/latest.jpg