Date:      Fri, 12 Oct 2001 20:58:44 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        sabine225@home.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CVSup is overkill for me

On Fri, 12 Oct 2001 sabine225@home.com wrote:

> On Friday, October 12, 2001, at 05:54 PM, Philip Paeps wrote:
>
> > It's not *that* difficult, is it?
>
> It's horrendous.
>
> I don't want CURRENT I want STABLE, STABLE sounds better. But all the
> docs say no problem just say
> tag=something_from_a_list_somewhere_that_no_one_seems_to_tell_you_where_it_is
>
> Tell me is it, "RELENG_4" ?
>
> AND docs say if you make any kind of a typo in this
> tag=make_a_wild_guess it will delete all the files that don't match your
> system. Nice.
>
> Yea, it's probably not that tough, it just that the documentation blows.
>
> YOU tell me this wasn't written by mutants:

The alternative to this documentation is to

cd /usr/share/examples/cvsup

and read the supfiles.  There is a stable-supfile and a ports-supfile.
The first is for upgrading the source for the base system, and the
second is for upgrading the ports framework (not the ports themselves).

The stable-supfile has the correct tag for stable (RELENG_4 right now)
and the ports-supfile has the correct tag for the ports collection.

If you're not tracking stuff on a daily basis, there's good reason
to do these separately.  You do not want to upgrade system source
until you really do want to rebuild the system, as your kernel source
will get updated, and you might want to build a kernel with source
appropriate to the installed system.  Sometimes you do not want the
ports collection upgraded.  And the ports-supfile lets you comment
out categories of ports (e.g., some foreign languages, perhaps) that you
know you're not going to use.

Each supfile tells you to change one line to select the server from which
you want to get the source, and gives the correct command for you to
run (as root) in its introductory section (the lines preceeded with #
marks).

cvsup -g -L2 ports-supfile
or
cvsup -g -L2 stable-supfile

-g turns of graphics (which will be used if you're in X) and -L2 gives
you a little more information on what's happening.

	Annelise

--
Annelise Anderson
Author of: 		 FreeBSD: An Open-Source Operating System for Your PC