Date:      Sun, 29 Oct 2000 00:01:15 GMT
From:      "Aaron Hill" <hillaa@hotmail.com>
To:        dbakopanos@sympatico.ca, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: PPPoE

>I have tried repeatively to use the PPPoE client on my installation of
>FreeBSD 4.1 and failed each and every time. I have even went so far as

Welcome to the entertaining world of PPPoE!

>to copy and paste the your sample configuration file from your tutorials
>online

From your email address I'll assume you are trying to get PPPoE working with
Bell Sympatico. If I'm correct you might want to have a look at this useful
page a fellow user has made...

http://sympaticousers.org/faq/freebsd_howto.htm

... I would advise that you change the intructions in that howto in the
following ways...

Step 3.
- Also add   options NETGRAPH_ETHER      to your kernel config file.

In ppp.conf
- Add these lines to get NAT working for your network but don't enable them
until you get PPPoE working first:
#nat enable yes
#nat log yes
#nat same_ports yes
#nat unregistered_only yes

If you are trying to connect with a different ISP please let us know who it
is. Perhaps someone on the list already has a working configuration or
perhaps you'll help other users in the future through them being able to
find information in the mailing list archives.

>against attacks. I have two dlink cards inside my computer both of which
>are
>pci. The newer one is a DFE-538TX FastEthernet (rl0) and the older one is a
>de-528 PCI Ehternet card (the system is seeing it as ed0). Now I have tried
>to set the IRQ and I/O values to each card but there isn't a utility that
>will allow me to write to the EEPROM.

That sounds correct, you really shouldn't need to worry about the IRQ and
I/O values for PCI cards - such is the usefulness of PCI. If, however, you
do need to change the IRQ values I believe you can find these settings in
your systems BIOS. I'd leave this kind of thing to the last step however.

>I would like to know, do I have to
>have an IP address assigned to the interface?

I found not, although I have seen a few people use 10.0.0.x addresses. Here
is the rc.conf entry for my interface that connects to the ADSL modem...

ifconfig_rl0="inet 0.0.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.255 media 10BaseT/UTP"

... FreeBSD uses this card for Ethernet transmission only so it is not
concerned if the interface has an IP address or not. When you do connect to
the ISP you should have a new interface tun0 which will have the legal IP
address assigned to you from the ISP.

>Secondly, how do I configure
>the system to read my second card at the IRQ and I/O input values that I
>have specified?

You probably don't. If your system is finding your cards as rl0 and ed0 then
your cards are being recognised correctly by FreeBSD. As you can see above I
personally use a Realtek 8129/8139 based card (SMC 1211 TX) and needed only
to put the right device line (rl) in my custom kernel configuration file to
get it working, no tricks needed.

Good luck and keep us informed. If you continue to encounter problems please
let us know as there's always a few more things we can get you to try.

Aaron Hill