Date:      Mon, 19 Nov 2001 07:09:52 +0100
From:      "R. Hartman" <rhartman@xs4all.nl>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Mysterious boot during the night

From the explanation below of STABLE it seems to me that this branch is =
less reliable than RELEASE regardless of the fact that it includes bug =
fixes. Especially the last two lines suggest to me that Matthew =
Graybosch was right.

From =
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/current-stable.=
html:

19.2.2.1 What Is FreeBSD-STABLE?
FreeBSD-STABLE is our development branch from which major releases are =
made. Changes go into this branch at a different pace, and with the =
general assumption that they have first gone into FreeBSD-CURRENT first =
for testing. This is still a development branch, however, and this means =
that at any given time, the sources for FreeBSD-STABLE may or may not be =
suitable for any particular purpose. It is simply another engineering =
development track, not a resource for end-users.

Regards,

Ronald Hartman

----- Original Message -----=20