Date:      Sun, 21 Nov 1999 00:04:21 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Gary Jennejohn <garyj@muc.de>
Cc:        "Andrey A. Chernov" <ache@nagual.pp.ru>, Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Root mount failed:22 ???

> I see this:
>
> Root mount failed: 22

This suggests you may have an old loader, or the loader's parsing of
your /etc/fstab file may be failing.  I probably need to add a
diagnostic to it to help us track this down.

> Mounting root from ufs:da0s4a
> [snip]
> Root mount failed: 6
> Mounting root from ufs:da0a <-- this is defined in my config file

This indicates that we're using the fallback code (intended for this
purpose), and that you have a "truly dedicated" disk, ie. the s4 entry
is "historically bogus", so whilst the kernel etc. was loaded using
slice 4, the disk is not actually sliced at all.

There would need to be _two_ error 6 failures before you got to the
point where the compiled-in default was tried, I think.

> It's normal. Some change which phk introduced into /sys/kern/vfs_conf.c,
> I think.

No.  It _shouldn't_ be normal, provided that your /etc/fstab refers to
the correct device.