Date:      Tue, 29 Jul 1997 16:34:54 EDT
From:      rondzierwa@juno.com (Ron Dzierwa)
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   PCMCIA on FreeBSD2.2.1

Dear Hackers,

I recently installed 2.2.1 on an Ergo Powerbrick 100 Notebook computer
and had some questions regarding the PCMCIA support.  The hardware
compatibility list indicates that the 3Com 3c589 pcmcia ethernet is
supported, as well as the adaptec AIC-6360 pcmcia scsi controller both of
which I have installed and tested using dos/windows drivers and even NT
3.51.  I am having problems getting them to work under FreeBSD 2.2.1
however, and hoped somebody there could help.

The 3Com card I have is NOT a combo card, but it is the `D" version which
is mentioned in the HARDWARE.TXT file on the distribution as possibly
being supported in the new generic PCMCIA code but there is little/no
documentation on how to set it up.  I was hoping that somebody could give
me some hints as to how to set this up so I could muddle around with it
until it is better supported.

Also, the computer uses a DataBook DB86082 PCMCIA controller chip.  I
looked thru the PCMCIA support code and did not find any mention of this
chip, so I am wondering if it is supported.   I have the data sheets and
some diagnostic/test/development software for the chip (runs under dos),
so I would be willing to put some work into adding support for the chip
to the existing PCMCIA code if necessary.

Regarding the scsi controller, the driver in the generic kernel seems to
be able to find it when booting from the CDROM using fbsdboot, but
shortly thereafter the system hangs up.    I believe that it could find
the scsi controller because I was booting from dos and the pcmcia
controller was still set up from the dos driver.   This leads me back to
the PCMCIA support code.

So I guess what I am asking is:
  - How to setup/configure the `D' version of the 3c589
  - Is my PCMCIA chip supported at all?
  - How to configure the AIC-6360 driver to work with the PCMCIA  chip.

Any answers, hints, or even guesses would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks,

ron