Date:      Wed, 06 Mar 1996 18:20:41 -0800
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        Daniel.M.Obrien@att.com
Cc:        ejc@naserver1.cb.att.com, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org, committers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Paul's rules of order for committers (Re: -current submitting policys)

>My minds eye suggests the process being followed is 1) make change, 2) submit,
>3) try it, 4) ``Oops'', 5) make new change, 6) submit, 7) try it....
>This is based on my anecdotal observations of submits.

   Of course it's not at all this simple. There's a lot more to the process
than meets the eye. Most of the FreeBSD developers have fairly lousy Internet
connectivity and this can lead to portions of a patch being left out or
uncommitted. We (almost?) always test things before committing them, but
what works on my machine may very well not work on yours and the reasons for
this can be extremely complex.
   Of course there is room for improvement, but I think we generally have very
high standards for our source code management and I think most of the time we
do a pretty damn good job about it.

-DG

David Greenman