Date:      Sun, 24 Jul 2005 19:43:08 -0700
From:      Glenn Dawson <glenn@antimatter.net>
To:        he ccjj <heccjj1@gmail.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: very strange net problem in FreeBSD 5.4

At 07:12 PM 7/24/2005, he ccjj wrote:
>Hi,everyone.
>I met a very strange net problem in FreeBSD 5.4,it disturbed me very
>long time,i like freebsd very much,but if this problem can't be
>resolved,i have to give up it.:(
>
>The problem is just like this:
>My server box located in the education network at China(this is a
>special net work,mainly for the schools of China),with
>apache2+cronolog+mysql+pureftp in the same box.The users out of the
>education network frequently can't visit the www serve of my
>box,specially at morning(perhaps haven't visit after a long time?).But
>the users of education network seldom met this problem.Perhaps you
>will think about that is because of the education network,but the
>strange thing is that another box with Windows 2003 whith the same
>netwok condition just works fine,the users out of education network
>visit it very well.So I think the problem is just because of my box's
>OS!

I can't think of any reason why you would have this problem simply because
you're using FreeBSD.  The most likely cause is something (hard to say what
without more details) is not configured properly on your FreeBSD system.

>Firstly,I think perhaps it's because of the TTL of the two OS are
>different,so I change my FB's TTL to 255,but the problem occurs
>too.The users frequetly complain they can't visit!

Do the people that have trouble reaching your FreeBSD system get any error
messages? Timeouts? Assuming that the users who are having trouble are
trying to connect to your system with a browser, are they also unable to
ping your system?

Is your system behind any kind of firewall or address translator?

Does your system obtain it's IP address via DHCP?  If so, is it unable to
renew it's lease? (look in /var/db/dhclient.leases)

Is your default route correct?  Is it the same as the system that isn't
having these problems? (assuming that both systems are on the same network)

The more details you can give about your configuration, the easier it will
be to help you figure out where the problem is.

-Glenn