Date:      Tue, 12 Nov 2002 11:48:55 -0500
From:      Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org>
To:        Bernhard Valenti <bernhard.valenti@gmx.net>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NVidia Drivers Released !

Bernhard Valenti wrote:

> are they working for anyone?
> hangs at the nvidia splashscreen for me... sig11 in the X logfile, and then
> i cant get back to console :(

One thing I've discovered on my 4600 though.

Twinview (Dualhead support) seems to behave badly.

My card has the following connectors on the back:
HD15, TVout, DVI

At boot, if the card detects something plugged into the HD15 port,
it will send the console there (otherwise it checks the DVI port
and sends it there if it finds anything).

If you start the X server up singleheaded, it prefers the HD15 port
as well (ignoring the DVI port unless the HD15 port is unused).

Now heres the weird part.  If you configure TwinView, the DVI port
becomes monitor number 1, and the HD15 becomes monitor number 2.

This is obnoxious if you have a nice new multisync monitor on the
HD15 and an old 800x600 monitor on the DVI port (using the included
DVI->HD15 adaptor).  90% of the time I just want the one head, but
sometimes I'd like to fire up the little monitor so I can put
toolbars and stuff on it.  The little monitor can't support the same
modes the big one can though, and it turns out that I have to
completely rework the XF86Config.

Just a heads up for all of you out there who want to get TwinView
working.

--
  \  |_ _|__ __|_ \ __| Jason Andresen        jandrese@mitre.org
 |\/ |  |    |    / _|  Network and Distributed Systems Engineer