Date:      Fri, 9 Aug 2002 09:57:29 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Bleichert <syborg@stny.rr.com>
To:        Mark Hannon <markhannon@optusnet.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Setting a drive bootable

On Fri, 9 Aug 2002, Mark Hannon wrote:

> Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2002 23:50:15 +1000
> Hi John,
>
> You need to install LILO into /dev/hda2 during the linux install.
> Installing
> lilo also implies running the lilo command under linux (which calculates
> the
> location of the linux kernel file and stores in the hda2 boot block).
> You
> should be able to boot your linux partition manually with the Redhat
> install
> disk to re-run lilo.  You don't need to set the linux partition active.
>
> /mark
>
> syborg@stny.rr.com wrote:
> >
> > Hello All
> >
> > After installing and configureing FreeBSD 4.6, I installed RedHat. The
> > install went fine, and I kept the BSD bootloader.
> >
> > Now, everytime I go into sysinstall/fdisk and set the root partition for
> > linux to be bootable, write it to the mbr, then write the bootloader, it
> > doesn't stick, meaning that when I reboot, F2 (Linux) just beeps when I
> > press it, and when I boot into F1 (FreeBSD) and run fdisk again, the
> > bootable flag on the Linux partition is missing. It doesn't seem to
> > 'stick' when I make it bootable.
> >
> > Any idea what's going on here? I could install LILO or grub and get around
> > this but I'd rather use the FreeBSD bootloader.
> >
> > Thanks - JB

Hi Mark - thanks for the hint. I've been using Linux for a while, I'm ok
with LILO. I could boot the RedHat CD in rescue mode and install LILO if I
wanted to, but I want to get to know the FreeBSD bootloader. However,
reading all the loader docs, I think this is a bootable partition problem.

Not sure yet.

/*
 * John Bleichert
 * syborg@stny.rr.com