Date:      21 Apr 96 01:50:45 GMT
From:      peter@jhome.DIALix.COM (Peter Wemm)
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Changes for vfork()

smpatel@umiacs.umd.edu (Sujal Patel) writes:

>On Thu, 18 Apr 1996, Garrett Wollman wrote:

>> and everything should Just Work.  (Make sure to do all of these steps
>> before recompiling the world, though.)

>We should briefly look over the source tree too.  Some brain-dead programs
>may rely on vfork() behavior (such as sleeping on the child, or altering
>the parent's address space)...

Note that there are some programs still using these features..  tcsh,
for one, uses the shared address space semantics to update some statistics
in the parent.

Naturally, this does not work on FreeBSD, because of the incomplete
vfork() emulation.

It's ironic.. vfork() was a traditional BSD thing, and now System V machines
implement it better than the current BSD's do.

>Sujal

-Peter