Date:      Thu, 18 Oct 2001 13:14:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      X Philius <xphilius@yahoo.com>
To:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make buildworld problem with 4.4 release

Kent,
Well, that did not quite do it. I made that change to the libiberty Makefile, and now I am getting
another error in the gnu/binutils directory (pasted below). I went to the web CVS and tried to
patch the Makefile for gnu/usr.bin/binutils/ld, but I still get an error. Am I going about this
the wrong way? I am attempting to upgrade from 4.1 Release to 4.4 Release. Is there a set of
patches that I can run on the source tree that will make this work? Geez, I'm only .3 versions
back ;-) I certainly don't mind making a few fixes, but considering the complexity of the whole
thing, now that I've found two issues, I imagine there are more out there. Is there documentatiion
covering issues upgrading from X.xx to X.xx? Should I give up on upgrading via CVSUP and use
sysinstall? The situaion is I am practicing on a junk machine in preparation for upgrading my
server, which is still running 4.1 Release. I was hoping to get a handle on upgrading via CVsup so
that I can track the security patches from now on without having to use the sysinstall utility.

Jason

eelf_i386.c:368: elf-hints.h: No such file or directory
mkdep: compile failed
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/binutils/ld.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/binutils.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.

<snip>
--- Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com> wrote:

> X Philius wrote:

> > Error I am seeing after running 'make buildworld':
> >
> > exsup.o mri.o  ../libbfd/libbfd.a ../libiberty/libiberty.a
> > eelf_i386.o: In function `gldelf_i386_open_dynamic_archive':
> > eelf_i386.o(.text+0xc7b): undefined reference to `basename'
>
> Look at the changes made to the Makefile and add them to yours. You
> jumped too far and basename isn't in your old system. You can see the
> delta (colored) at
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/gnu/usr.bin/binutils/libiberty/Makefile
>
> Kent

<snip>