Date:      28 Nov 2000 20:06:02 -0500
From:      Randell Jesup <rjesup@wgate.com>
To:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
Cc:        Randell Jesup <rjesup@wgate.com>, Kenneth W Cochran <kwc@world.std.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Removal of Disklabel

Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca> writes:
>>         Before you start, you should look at the updates to disklabel I've
>> submitted to Warner Losh for checkin.  While they don't change the evil
>> UI, they do greatly expand the flexibility of how to specify partition
>> sizes and positions, and also considerably increase error checking
>> (including for minor things like overlapping partitions).
>
>Overlapping partitions are perfectly legal.  Of course you cannot
>simultaneously use overlapping partitions, but you can set up a disktab
>entry to create overlapping partitions and alternatively initialise the
>partitions you wish to use, e.g you can define overlapping partitions
>in the label, yet only use combinations of partitions that you require
>at the the time.  Evi Nemeth explains the rational behind this in her
>system administration books.

        Mayhaps they're legal - but I think they're also evil and very
dangerous, not to mention confusing.  In any case, the updates to disklabel
don't disallow them, but they do warn you that the partitions overlap.

>If you want to look at UI's, Compaq Tru64-UNIX has an excellent disk
>partitioning UI, with slider bars and warnings about overlapping
>partitions -- a very polished application.  The problem is that it
>requires X.  An X based install might be nice, however I think it's
>hardly worth the effort.  IMO this would be a value add for commercial
>product, e.g. BSDi.

        Personally I'd LOVE more polish in sysinstall/etc.  They're a
bloody pain in the arse to use, and quite non-intuitive, even for someone
who's been usign Unix for 16 years.

--
Randell Jesup, Worldgate Communications, ex-Scala, ex-Amiga OS team ('88-94)
rjesup@wgate.com