Date:      Mon, 29 Jun 1998 18:14:13 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Remy NONNENMACHER <remy@synx.com>
To:        petrilli@dworkin.amber.org
Cc:        freebsd@atipa.com, rotel@indigo.ie, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PPro vs PII

On 29 Jun, Christopher G. Petrilli wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Jun 1998, Atipa wrote:
>
>> The P2 will smoke it. Better yet, go up to 350 or 400MHz, then you can
>> utilize 100MHz system bus.
>
> This is a red herring... the system bus was a big restriction back when
> the cache was running at bus speed---any increment made a huge
> difference, but with the current PII architecture, the bus speed has
> long since ceased to be a problem.  How many devices do you know that
> can saturate a PCI bus constitently?  Don't use this as a reasoning.
> model of execution (80-90% cache hit rate).  Remember, that you can get
> PPros with 512K or 1Mb of L2 cache that is running 1:1 with the chip,
> rather than 2:1.

That's what say Tom's hardware guide: 100Mhz bus give a 3 to 10%
increase. (Now, he uses Win...... benchmarks and it's difficult to
figure out what is really tested.)

Let's stop the pro/cons war about P2/Pro. I propose that those
interested grab the rc5des client on www.distributed.net and post the
result of -benchmark, along with processor type and speed. This will
close the debate quickly.

RN.