Date:      Thu, 8 Jul 2004 21:35:34 +0100
From:      Mark Dixon <mark@markdnet.demon.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: where to get info to write basic usb driver for own device?

--Boundary-03=_tAb7AKttLCkhtPS

On Sunday 04 Jul 2004 19:20, Avleen Vig wrote:

> I am actually in a similar situation.
> I know some C, and want to write a device driver for a USB device (web
> cam), but I have no idea where to start.
> I've searched for a "beginners guide to writing device drivers" but
> failed miserably :-(

I briefly looked into this as well, and in summery, webcams are a bit of a=
=20
pain. Unlike Linux folks, there's no Video4BSD (although there was some tal=
k=20
of one a while back), and so there's no standard way of doing it.=20

The only proven video in API is the one used by meteora (I think) and bktr,=
=20
and thats by all accounts hideous, which leaves you needing to write a lot=
=20
more code than you first thought, and that was enough to put me off. A=20
standard thing to do with the video stream having extracted it from the=20
webcam which applications like gnomemeeting understand would make the job=20
much easier.

=2D-=20
Mark

'If it compiles, ship it'