Date:      Sat, 2 Jun 2001 09:20:44 -0700
From:      "Hervey Wilson" <herveyw@dynamic-cast.com>
To:        "Jason Halbert" <jason@jason-n3xt.org>, "Jim Freeze" <jim@freeze.org>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Verizon Spam Filter Question

From: "Jason Halbert" <jason@jason-n3xt.org>

> Jim:
>
> I have said this a million times to my friends and Verizon "haters"..
> "Verzion kicks ass as long as you don't have to call them."  I currently
> have Verizon DSL and VerizonOnline is my ISP.  I have the what used to be
> the "Platinum" package (T1 down/Half-T1 up).  I always get my full
bandwidth
> no matter what time of day it is and the only downtime I ever experience
is
> the rare hardware maintenance they do.  Granted it helps living 6,000ft.
> from my CO.  I will probably upgrade to the 7.0M down/T1 up when it
becomes
> avaliable.

I second this, bar the comment about calling them. However, in my case I
have a 3rd party ISP so I just get the wire from Verizon. Every time I've
called Verizon their technicians have been very helpful, have usually
isolated the problem very quickly and have often sent out an engineer to
double-check even when I've already confirmed that all is well. I had
performance problems last year, but these were directly attributed to my ISP
not Verizon. Oh, I'm also right at the distance limit for "Platinum" as
well - must be a good 1.5 miles to the CO.

> Verizon does not block ports, but there is a down side to that.  When
> someone packeting you on ports below 1024 they can't/won't really do
> anything about it.  They expect you to log it and then submit the
> information to a "security" divison of the ISP who is supposedly to deal
> with it for you.

And this is precisely why I use them over cable. I am hosting my two domains
(with DNS from register.com) for mail, http, ftp and nntp. I get to mess
around on my server and learn stuff, sometime even do something useful :) If
the system ports were blocked, there'd be little reason for me to bother
with a server.

> The Verizon mail servers are very strict.  If you do not connect to the
mail
> servers with an IP that resolves to one of the Verizon owned domains then
it
> rejects it.  Although, there is a bright side.  If you buy a domain and if

> you are fortunate enough to buy an IP for that domain, then just use a
> FreeBSD server to be the mail servers.  They do a wonderful job.. as you
can
> see you are reading this e-mail. :)

Ditto :)