Date:      Sat, 7 Jul 2001 15:07:51 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   to wrap or not to wrap - a question of style for doc/ tree PR's

The SGML sources of the doc/ tree are wrapped at 70 - 78 columns.

However, when I am send-pr'ing changes, some times adding a tag here
and there makes the lines longer than the column that they were
originally wrapped.  The dillema is, should I wrap the resulting SGML
before doing a `cvs dif -u' or not?

Wrapping the resulting source again makes it look better and it does
not break the style of the document, but this makes diffs more
difficult to understand; the changes are not easy to understand if I
do wrap the source before diff'ing.

What would the rest of you people prefer to see in a PR?

I'm asking because if I do wrap the source before running diff, the
patches are more difficult to understand, but if I don't the PR will
probably result in more than one commits.  One to apply the changes
and one to reapply the style that the rest of the document has, and
this is extra work for the one that will try to close the PR.

Any comments welcome :-)

-giorgos