Date:      Thu, 16 Dec 1999 12:09:54 -0500
From:      "Person, Roderick" <personrp@ccbh.com>
To:        'Pat Lynch' <lynch@bsdunix.net>, "'freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: The Bazaar part II

Hi,

I'm new to the advocacy list and pretty new to FreeBSD, I have been using
and learning it for about 6 months now and ready to start doing some
programming specifically FreeBSD related. In my professional life, I'm a
programmer - Object Pascal, some C++ and SQL, and unfortunately I'm stuck in
a WinTel shop, but hopefully that is changing. And with that on to my
thoughts and opinions on this subject.

So, I came to FBSD after 2 years of 'play' with Linux. I went to Linux
because I hated windows every since 2.0 and what it did to the whole PC
community. Linux was the first Free OS I had heard of So I gave it a shot.
At First I thought it was great. Then when I really started trying to become
productive it didn't hold up to the hype (at least for me). I wasn't about
to go back to Windows so I didn't know what. I debated a return to DOS until
I remembered that cute little devil (I now know it's a daemon) I had seen in
on a web site somewhere.

So know I preach FreeBSD to my co-workers. And it always the same first
question. "What is that?" Where as when I spoke of Linux advocacy it never
was "what's that it's" but "Is it better that windows", "Is it hard to
install", "what kind of apps are there" or some question that didn't require
me to sit down and explain the genesis of the OS. Now being that I work with
a bunch of programmers, DBAs and Tech guys you would think that BSD had some
recognition factor but no it does seem to.  Here is a prime example of *BSD
needing exposure. I seems to me that if your in a tech community and they
have no clue as to what it even is there is a problem in the marketing.
Although, recently I have seen full size ads in Linux Journal for FreeBSD.
That's a start.

One thing I think FreeBSD can benefit from is more web pages! There add
hundred of Linux pages and as far as I know there a maybe 12 FreeBSD web
pages. You can go to LinuxBerg to find any app for Linux. But for FreeBSD
there is only FreeBSD.org for apps. I think there needs to be more of a
'third part' presence in the FBSD web community. More pages by users with
tips, tricks, custom app whatever. I have been thinking of rededicating my
web site to such things instead of being a focus for open source movement in
general.

	I believe that you are write in saying that it takes a lot of energy
to advocate. Not only that but it takes a lot of time. This seems to
something that people who use *BSD actually lack. Linux seem more for
younger up and coming hackers/programmers etc. But the BSD are for those who
know what they want and need to get it done without having to hack a patch
to make it work correctly. I think free time of the advocates is the biggest
obstacle. I maybe wrong, I'm not sure but that how I see it. I keep try to
put in the time I can on what ever I can but life, advocacy and work just
are mixed enough in my life now to be much help. "TO gain notoriety, we have
to lose our strength?" I really like that. I think that sums up my whole
rant here. Hell I might even use that as my new sig. :)

	Rod