Date:      Mon, 19 Aug 1996 00:10:59 +0000
From:      Rob Urban <urban@rto.dec.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   installing from floppies...

Hello People (whoever you are),

Thanks for the wonderful support you gave me when I was trying to
install from floppy and it wasn't working.  Using your tips, I wasn't
able to get it running and had to go to a lot more trouble to get
FreeBSD running.  Namely because I only got one tip, and it was wrong.

I followed the instructions to in INSTALL.TXT to the _letter_, but they
are wrong.  I asked which of the files in the install directories
must be present on the floppies.  The single answer said "only the
foo.aa, foo.ab, foo.ac, etc" ones.  The answer is that the foo.inf file
MUST be on the first floppy where 'foo' in introduced (and maybe on
all floppies, but I only tried on floppy with 'bin')

This should have occurred to me I suppose, because foo.inf is a 8.3
compatible name, whereas foo.mtree isn't, and this should have tipped
me off. Oh well.

So thanks again for the support.

How about fixing the docs???? (960801 is the same)

Rob Urban,  wildly enthusiastic about having FreeBSD running on a
laptop, pretty bummed about lack of response to one_easy_question.