Date:      Thu, 3 Oct 2002 00:13:23 -0700 (PDT)
From:      bruno schwander <bruno@tinkerbox.org>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   joystick on Creative PCI128 not working

dmesg:

pcm0: <Creative CT5880-C> port 0xa400-0xa43f irq 9 at device 9.0 on pci0
joy0 at port 0x201 on isa0

but running the test from the joy man page

perl -e 'open(JOY,"/dev/joy0")||die;while(1)
{sysread(JOY,$x,16);@j=unpack("iiii",$x);print "@j\n";sleep(1);}'

returns data that does not change wenever I manipulate the joystick or
press buttons. I tried wiring the switches directly to the game port in
case the joystick was defective: no change in the output.

Other question: It seems that from the source of the joystick driver, it
will attach and handle both joysticks. However, if I try to access
/dev/joy1, I get a "device not configured" error.

anybody seen that before ? solutions, suggestions welcome

bruno