Date:      Fri, 25 Oct 2002 19:05:56 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "C J Michaels" <cjm2@earthling.net>
To:        <fun@thingy.apana.org.au>
Cc:        <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: How to chmod on FAT32 partition?

Some time in the recent past David Gerard scribbled:

> OK, got disk up. (Problem was I didn't know its make. ad3s1 eventually
> worked.)
>
> Now it seems I can't make it writable by anyone but root:
>
> diva# ls -l viv.html
> -rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  1987 Jul  4 05:21 viv.html
> diva# chmod g+w viv.html
> diva# ls -l viv.html
> -rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  1987 Jul  4 05:21 viv.html
> diva# chmod a+w viv.html
> diva# ls -l viv.html
> -rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  1987 Jul  4 05:21 viv.html
>
> Same for any files. Is this some sort of FAT32 limitation? Is this
> documented anywhere?

I know it's documented somewhere but I'm too lazy to look right now.  I
know for a fact if you search the archives you'll find more detail.

The short answer is that FAT32 has no concept of permissions there's not
way to 'change them' on a per file/dir basis.  When you mount a FAT{32}
partition it'll inherrit the permissions of the mount point.  So
chown/chmod that directory and re-mount.

--
Chris