Date:      Sun, 2 Jun 2002 23:17:06 -0700
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <crist.clark@attbi.com>
To:        "a.s.gruner" <plankalkuel@encephalon.de>
Cc:        Darren Pilgrim <dmp@pantherdragon.org>, freebsd-ipfw@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipfw+natd+ppp problem

On Mon, Jun 03, 2002 at 07:18:35AM +0200, a.s.gruner wrote:
> Hi.
>
> > Have you tried using the ppp -nat function instead of natd?  It
> > generally seems to work better, and the extra features natd provides
> > aren't really needed for basic dialup access (and you can make up for
> > them with ipfw).
>
> No i havent, i kno that option but i want to use natd like it is
> described in an article on freebsd.org. It is strange that it is not
> working with me. I also read that ppp+natd is more powerfull then ppp
> -nat option.

It depends. natd(8) and ppp(8) use the exact same code to do NAT,
libalias(3). natd(8) has some additional options and since you can
direct what goes to natd(8) using ipfw(8) rules, there is some more
flexibility... However, that additional "flexibility" is only
something else to go wrong if you do not really need it.

> So, do you have an idea how i can fix my problem ?

Well, the most obvious thing was that you didn't have a divert(4) rule
in your firewall. But unless there is something you want to do with
natd(8)-ipfw(8) that you can't do with ppp(8) '-nat,' I'd start by
getting ppp(8) working right. If you still want to try out natd(8),
wait to do it until after you have gotten ppp(8) working correctly.