Date:      Fri, 27 Jul 2001 09:13:25 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "P. U. (Uli) Kruppa" <root@pukruppa.de>
Cc:        <the_philologus@excite.com>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Applixware 5.0 installation

Check the list archives, someone is working on a FreeBSD for Dummies book
and has asked for reviewers.  I've seen some of the text and it's along
this vein.

>> Within 5 years possibly less Microsoft will be releasing
>> serialized versions of Windows that will require the
>> license to be renewed every 2 years, by the end user
>> telephoneing into Microsoft and paying another $100 for
>> an unlock code.  On top of that they will only be able
>> to do that a few times, Microsoft will use that to
>> enfore manadatory upgrading of OS software.
>Not within 5 years, but even today young people don't know
>anything about command-lines and simple programming. So they
>will stay with ready to run colorful products.

That's the old "When I was a boy life was better and people wern't
molesting young boys or running nekkid down the street or doing drugs,
they were God-fearing and went to church every Sunday"  It's a bogus
argument with that as it is with this.

Yes, there's always plenty of lazy people out there.  But I'll wager that in
total numbers there are way more young people today that understand
the UNIX and DOS command lines than ever were 20 years ago when the
computer industry was just getting started.

The difference is that 20 years ago only the dedicated people were in the
business, today everyone and their dog is.

command-lines and simple programming knowledge are as necessary to the
professional or serious amateur as they always were.

>Most people use their compies for playing and surfing. They
>already do pay a lot and will go on paying. They will be
>able to watch videos and they  will pay $7.98 per month for
>having "cvsupped" their system once a week.
>Perhaps they will give up their portable telephones to save
>the money and start videophoning instead.

This is certainly what Microsoft is hoping will happen.  We will see.
Right now nobody knows.  But, one thing that I can say is that the
Cable companies made the same argument when they came in with their
$30-per-month cable service when I was 13 year old so many years ago,
and they still don't count more than 25-30% penetration today.

>> When the masses have to start paying money they will be
>> ripe for the picking.
>>
>> Consider also that Microsoft will never get out from
>> being declared a governmentally regulated monopoly until
>> they forcibly expel 50% of the userbase from their
>> product.
>Perhaps I am not quite up-to-date:
>A lot of talk has been made. Nothing happened.

The Titantic didn't sink in 15 minutes. :-)