Date:      Fri, 03 Mar 2006 13:44:08 +0200
From:      Iasen Kostov <tbyte@otel.net>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Net <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: SMP NAT

On Fri, 2006-03-03 at 01:35 +0000, Robert Watson wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Mar 2006, Iasen Kostov wrote:
>
> > I'm now using a MP system (dual opteron) to do NAT for about 1500 clients at
> > once at speed above 200Mbit/sec full-duplex (e.g about 400Mbit/sec) and I'm
> > using PF to do the NAT. Bad thing is that the second CPU is idle. As I can
> > see from top - about 50% of the cpu is used by irq handler for the ethernet
> > adapter (irq27: bge0 bge1 - I'm using only bge0 to route via VLANs) and
> > about 30% by the network interrupt handler. I guess that the swi1:net is
> > handling the NAT (via PF) and if swi1 and irq27 are in different handlers
> > why they don't get executed on different CPUs (second CPU is 98% idle and
> > top show that both handlers run on same CPU). Aren't both handlers in
> > different kernel threads ? If they are not - is it possible to be in
> > different threads on different CPUs ?
>
> In general, yes -- I frequently look at top -S and see the ithreads running on
> different CPUs from each other.  As you surmise, the hardware ithread is
> handling the hardware interrupts up through link layer processing, and then
> the netisr is doing the IP layer processing including NAT.  On recent FreeBSD,
> generally if a second CPU is idle, we will generally wake up the netisr on
> another idle CPU.  However, that's a property of the scheduler, and the
> details of how that happens vary a bit by FreeBSD version.  You don't include
> information on which FreeBSD version you're using.  It's also worth keeping in
> mind that if you have idle CPU time on your first CPU even with both threads
> going as fast as the hardware is driving, it's not necessarily "better" to be
> running the two tasks on different CPUs, for reasons of memory caching --
> i.e., the second CPU won't have to cache miss and read the packets in from
> memory a second time when it begins processing the mbufs previously brought
> into memory on the first CPU by the interrupt handler.
	But if both threads overload 1 of the CPUs and second stays idle ?
Performance probablly would be worse because interrput handler won't be
able to handle more interrupts or swi1 won't be able to process the
packets.

> So a few questions:
>
> (1) What version of FreeBSD are you running?

	6.0-STABLE #0: Thu Dec  8 21:19:54 UTC 2005 amd64

> (2) Is your network stack running MPSAFE?  "sysctl debug.mpsafenet" will
>      return either 0 or 1.  If you're running with certain network features,
>      such as the KAME IPSEC stack, you may be running with single processor
>      network stack.

	Yep. debug.mpsafenet: 1 (this is the default I think). And no nothing
there except PF's NAT. net.inet.ip.fastforwarding: 1

> (3) Are you using SCHED_4BSD (or rather, have you changed to SCHED_ULE)?
	SCHED_4BSD

> (4) Are you running with PREEMPTION compiled into the kernel?  When a thread,
>      such as the netisr, is preempted by a hardware ithread, it won't
>      necessarily be bounced to the other CPU immediately.

	PREEMPTION is compiled into the kernel.

Regards