Date:      Fri, 17 Aug 2001 17:02:29 -0400
From:      Brandon Fosdick <bfoz@glue.umd.edu>
To:        "Jonathan M. Slivko" <jslivko@4evermail.com>
Cc:        "Timothy J. Luoma" <luomat@peak.org>, FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Win2k w/ NTFS -- want to add FBSD

"Jonathan M. Slivko" wrote:
> Why even use Partition Magic? FreeBSD has it's own partitioning tool. In the
> install, it'll ask you to make a partition for it. So, just find the hard
> drive that is empty and specify that. When it asks you to install a
> bootloader, do it because otherwise you can't get on your Windows side. --

I've never needed to install the FreeBSD bootmanager when I already have Win2K
installed. The only caveat is that after installing FreeBSD and rebooting, you
have to have a DOS/Win98 boot disk so that you can run fdisk to make the Win2K
partition active. Otherwise you get "no operating system found" at your next
boot. I don't know why the FreeBSD installer insists on inactivating all of the
partitions on the drive, its very annoying.