Date:      Mon, 10 Feb 2003 11:37:45 -0700
From:      Mike Durian <durian@boogie.com>
To:        Andriy Gapon <agapon@cv-nj.com>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Guido van Rooij <guido@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ipsec & ipfw: 4.7-release vs -stable

On Monday 10 February 2003 09:42 am, Andriy Gapon wrote:

> The reason I am asking this question with such a big crosspost is that it
> seems that all previous discussions on this topic resulted in nothing. And
> this change definetely breaks things for those who use ipsec without extra
> stuff like gif tunnels. It definetely doesn't look like a kind of change
> welcomed in -stable branch, not mentioning a potential security
> vulnaribity for those who can not use gif.

I'd like to confirm this.  I just backed out change ip_input.c 1.214 on
my -current box and the double processing problem went away.  With change
1.214 in place, ESP packets are process twice, once as ESP packets and
once in their decrypted form.  So, despite the comment in the commit
message:

	Get rid of checking for ip sec history.  It is true that
	packets are not supposed to be checked by the firewall rules
	twice. However, because the various ipsec handlers never
	call ip_input(), this never happens anyway.

It looks like ipsec must be calling ip_input() somewhere.

I too would like to see ipfilter behave as documented (in -current too)
and not re-process decrypted ESP packets.  Perhaps change 1.214 can
be reworked or reverted?  I'll file a PR.

mike