Date:      Sun, 22 Oct 2000 23:30:44 -0600
From:      Chris Fedde <chris@fedde.littleton.co.us>
To:        "Robert Shea" <robert.shea@onlinecables.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD questions" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD v Linux

On Sun, 22 Oct 2000 21:51:00 -0700  "Robert Shea" wrote:
 +------------------

 | I have just started a project that basically involves converting a PHP/mySQL
 | system to C/8i...
 | Currently this system (which serves intranet only) is running FreeBSD 4.x-S.
 | My plan is to first swap mySQL out for 8i... then convert convert the PHP to
 | C...
 | Now I should first state that I am a big BSD supporter... and don't really
 | care for Linux...
 | With that said i am wondering if I should swap the OS as well since I am
 | gonna need to run 8i under a linux emmulator... and although I am aware this
 | is a statement with roots in ignornace as I have never ran a linux
 | emulator... I can't imagine it being real fast.
 |
 | My question is... keep BSD and run an emulator or should I yield to the
 | penguin completely?
 |
 | Thank you in advance for any insight :)
 |
 | Robert
 +------------------

Going from PHP/MySQL to anything/oracle 8i really sounds like you
are transitioning from freeware to commercial support. Also maybe
you are going from a low load architecture to a high load architecture.
The goal of this game is to buy as much time as you can before you
need to re-address a component.

Run Oracle on the biggest sparc/solaris box you can afford and get
a top notch DBA to help build, tune and run it. In my experience
the difference between the best DBA and one that is merely good is
about 10x in transaction performance.

Stick with PHP & BSD on the front end boxes if that makes sense.
If your environment works out like those I've been involved with
you will find that most of your performance problems can be solved
by taking a closer look at how the database is organized.  Learn
to run lots of front end boxes against the database server.
and turn them into appliances.

chris

--
    Chris Fedde