Date:      Sat, 1 Mar 2003 11:25:53 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm-dated-1046971554.631167@mired.org>
To:        Dick Hoogendijk <dick@nagual.st>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: burncd data files

In <20030301110550.GA272@pooh.nagual.st>, Dick Hoogendijk <dick@nagual.st> typed:
> As I understand I can execute a line like:
> ## burncd -f /dev/acd0c -s 12 data win98.iso fixate
> For this to work I create the iso file system w/ mkisofs.
> OK, but what if I just want to backup some files on my fbsd system to
> cd/rw? Is this possible or do all (data) files written by burncd *have*
> to be ISO files to begin with? Maybe a stupid question but reading
> through the manual I get the impression they have..

You can burn arbitrary data to a cd. The question is - how do you then
get it back? If you burn one file per track, you're limited to the 99
track devices for reading them, and you have to dd them off with an
odd blocksize. If you burn a tar file or something similar, you've
still got the dd problem.

The easiest way to deal with data on the CD is to burn a file system
and then mount it to read the data back. Since iso 9660 file systems
were designed for CDs, that's probably the best one to use.

	<mike