Date:      Sat, 24 Mar 2001 13:54:39 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        jason@jason-n3xt.org, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mergemaster

> From: Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
> Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 11:34:01 -0600
> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net> types:
> > I think I might have to try writing a tutorial on mergemaster. For
> > some reason lots of folks are either confused about how to run it or
> > are intimidated by it.
>
> I think you just did.

More or less. Needs polish and a sample run before it could really be
called a tutorial.

> > When you get to a file that you have edited, you probably want to do
> > merge. If you select 'm', you will get an sdiff display where you can
> > blend lines from your existing file (on the left) and the new file
> > (on the right) by entering 'l' or 'r'.
>
> One thing that Kevin overlooked that will make your life easier -
> always chose the new (r) vesion of the CVS file Id line. That's almost
> always the first difference in the file, and has the version number
> and such in it. mergemaster uses that line to decide if a file has
> changed or not. By choosing the new version, you're telling
> mergemaster you've dealt with this file, and it won't bother you about
> it again until it gets changed in the source tree.

Guess I need to re-word it a bit, since I did say:

"Always select 'r' when the rcs version lines are shown."

That was in the next paragraph, after the one you quoted.

Now that I have that done, I guess I'll work on the wording, add an
annotated example, and see where best to put where it can be
found. (FreeBSDzine or the handbook, I'd guess.)

Thanks for the comments.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)