Date:      Thu, 24 Jul 1997 10:39:26 -0700
From:      Greg Shenaut <greg@myrtle.bogs.org>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.com
Subject:   Re: Difference between a 3C589C and a 3C589D

In message <199707241420.IAA18939@rocky.mt.sri.com>, Nate Williams quoth:
>> > One has updated firmware which takes longer to reset (D).  Other than
>> > that, they appear to be the same.  But, you need a new driver in Win95
>> > for the D model.
>>
>> So when in the manual for the D it says it has the feature to shutdown
>> when not in use to conserve power they both have that feature even if the
>> C manual doesnt mention it and they both consume the same amount of power
>> in use?  The C says a nominal 50mA and I forgot what the D says.
>
>Hmm, I don't know.  I never measured the power output.  But, I do know
>that the FreeBSD driver works on all versions of the card.

I need 4 pcmcia ethernet cards, for a couple of Toshibas (T1950ct,
t3400) and two thinkpad 365cd's, all with 2.2.2 systems.

I understand that the 3c589's are probably the best cards to get, but
have been holding off on getting them because the only ones I've
seen for sale have been the D's, and there is an apparent problem
with them (it even says in the release notes that the driver doesn't
work with the D's).  Are you saying that they do work?

-Greg