Date:      Sat, 10 Feb 2001 16:14:18 -0500
From:      hawk <hawk@fac13.ds.psu.edu>
To:        "Josh Paetzel" <jpaetzel@hutchtel.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: system deteriorating?

> I think that most things are  recoverable without a reinstall, but you
> have to know
> what has happened before you can fix it.  Is this some kind of
> hardware issue, or
> is it an operator issue?  And if so, what.  Until you know that, you
> aren't going to be
> able to fix this problem, nor prevent it from occuring again in the
> future.

I have no idea what led to it.  I had a weird install where i deleted
/usr/X11R6 and had to reinstall over that.

I've reinstalled everything over the existing installation,
copied the assorted password files back into /etc, and at least make
is working again.  It still can't talke to the printer, and
I'm wondering if cat-ting to /dev/audio is just dumb-I can run
realplayer 8 and rplay without a problem.

This system *shouldn't* be my primary for more than a month or two
longer (which is why I put off using FreeBSD rather than Linux in
the first place); supposedly a laptop is in the works, and we're
trying to work out a sparc or rs6000 as well.

hawk