Date:      Mon, 8 Jul 2002 11:52:01 -0700
From:      Shannon -jj Behrens <jj@nttmcl.com>
To:        Vivek Khera <khera@kcilink.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Linux Java 1.4 was: linux_base-7.1 problem

> DWC> On Wed, Jul 03, 2002 at 11:35:41AM -0600, Jason Porter wrote:
> >> glibc-2.1.2-11.  It finally exists with an Error code 1 and stops the
> >> install.  Anyone else have this problem?
>
> DWC> This happens sometimes when there are leftovers in /compat/linux from
> DWC> linux_base-6, if you can rm -fr /compat/linux/* and reinstall linux
>
> My experience is that linux_base-7.1 fails miserably with the
> acroread4 and acroread5 ports (fails to install them for lack of
> "strip" program), and then core dumps when you run acroread.
>
> Personally, I just went with linux_base6-6.1 and it works flawlessly.

I noticed that linux_base-7 makes linux-sun-jdk14 crash, whereas linux_base-6
doesn't.  This was from a completely clean /compat.  Should I submit a PR, or
is this known behavior.  What was really surprising is that linux-sun-jdk14
will try to install linux_base-7 if linux_base-6 isn't installed, but this
default results in a broken configuration.

Best Regards,
-jj

--
Real programmers don't draw flowcharts.  Flowcharts are, after all, the
illiterate's form of documentation.  Cavemen drew flowcharts; look how