Date:      Sat, 10 Feb 2001 15:16:57 -0600
From:      Trenton Schulz <twschulz@cord.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Strange DSL/NAT Problem...

Hello,

I recently got DSL in my home and want to allow other computers to share the
connection.  I cheerfully set up natd and an "open" firewall.  I can get the
FreeBSD/Gateway machine to use the DSL, no problem.  The problem comes
when I try to access the Internet from the other computers, it appears that
the DNS lookup goes through just fine, but the computer is never able to
receive any packets.  Unless, and this is what is strange, I visit some place
(using a web browser, telnet, etc) for a while, and then it seems that the
other nodes can eventually go there.  Sadly, this is not an optimum solution.
As far as I can tell from the man pages and online resources (cheat sheets,
BSD Today, archives), everything should be working fine.  Am I missing
anything?

helpful info:
dc0 is set up for outside world, fxp0 is the inside card, all the clients
point to it for its gateway...
/etc/rc.conf:
ifconfig_dc0="inet 216.239.11.77 netmask 255.255.255.252"
ifconfig_fxp0="inet 192.168.100.100 netmask 255.255.255.0"
defaultrouter="216.239.11.76"
gateway_enable="YES"
natd_enable="YES"
natd_interface="dc0"
natd_flags="-f /etc/natd.conf"
firewall_enable="YES"
firewall_type="open"
firewall_quiet="NO"

/etc/natd.conf:
use_sockets yes
same_ports yes

Kernel file:
machine         i386
cpu             I586_CPU
ident           ARCHMAGE
maxusers        48

makeoptions     DEBUG=-g                #Build kernel with gdb(1) debugsymbols

options         INET                    #InterNETworking
options         FFS                     #Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options         FFS_ROOT                #FFS usable as root device [keep
this!]
options         SOFTUPDATES             #Enable FFS soft updates support

options        PROCFS                  #Process filesystem
options         COMPAT_43               #Compatible with BSD 4.3 [KEEP THIS!]
options         UCONSOLE                #Allow users to grab the console
options         VISUAL_USERCONFIG       #visual boot -c editor
options         KTRACE                  #ktrace(1) support
options         SYSVSHM                 #SYSV-style shared memory
options         SYSVMSG                 #SYSV-style message queues
options         SYSVSEM                 #SYSV-style semaphores
options         P1003_1B                #Posix P1003_1B real-time extensions
options         _KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING
options         USER_LDT
options         IPFIREWALL
options         IPDIVERT

device          isa
device          pci

# ATA and ATAPI devices
device          ata
device          atadisk                 # ATA disk drives
device          atapicd                 # ATAPI CDROM drives
device          atapifd                 # ATAPI floppy drives
options         ATA_STATIC_ID           #Static device numbering

# atkbdc0 controls both the keyboard and the PS/2 mouse
device          atkbdc0 at isa? port IO_KBD
device          atkbd0  at atkbdc? irq 1 flags 0x1
device          psm0    at atkbdc? irq 12

device          vga0    at isa?
pseudo-device   splash

device          sc0     at isa? flags 0x100
device          npx0    at nexus? port IO_NPX irq 13

# Serial (COM) ports
device          sio0    at isa? port IO_COM1 flags 0x10 irq 4
device          sio1    at isa? port IO_COM2 irq 3
device          sio2    at isa? disable port IO_COM3 irq 5
device          sio3    at isa? disable port IO_COM4 irq 9

# Parallel port
device          ppc0    at isa? irq 7
device          ppbus           # Parallel port bus (required)
device          lpt             # Printer

# PCI Ethernet NICs.
device          fxp             # Intel EtherExpress PRO/100B (82557, 82558)
device          miibus
device          dc

# Pseudo devices - the number indicates how many units to allocated.
pseudo-device   loop            # Network loopback
pseudo-device   ether           # Ethernet support
pseudo-device   tun             # Packet tunnel.
pseudo-device   pty             # Pseudo-ttys (telnet etc)
pseudo-device   bpf

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Trenton