Date:      Thu, 22 Nov 2001 21:50:02 +0100
From:      Jean-Yves Lefort <jylefort@brutele.be>
To:        Juan Luis Baptiste <p3rr0@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: IPv6 autoconfiguration

On Thu, Nov 22, 2001 at 02:11:01PM +0000, Juan Luis Baptiste wrote:
> Why do you want to get rid of that addresses? fe80 are link local addresses,
> and are the representation of the MAC address in EUI-64 format. And as far
> as I know, the are used for neighbor discovery and autoconfiguration
> purposes.
>
> >From RCF 2461:
>
> link-local address
> - a unicast address having link-only scope that can be
>   used to reach neighbors.  All interfaces on routers
>   MUST have a link-local address.  Also, [ADDRCONF]
>   requires that interfaces on hosts have a link-local
>   address.
>

> Hope this helps,
>
> Juan Luis Baptiste M.
> http://www.merlinux.org
>
> >From: Jean-Yves Lefort <jylefort@brutele.be>
> >To: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
> >Subject: IPv6 autoconfiguration
> >Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 21:57:40 +0100
> >
> >Hi all,
> >
> >Previously addresses in the form fe80*%<if_name> were assigned
> >automatically
> >to my IPv6 network interfaces. Having read that those fe80 addresses are
> >used
> >by IPv6 configuration, and having decided that I don't need this feature, I
> >have been able to disable the automatic assignation by appending the
> >following
> >line in my /etc/sysctl;conf:
> >
> >net.inet6.ip6.auto_linklocal=0
> >
> >After a system reboot, the move seemed to be successfull for all interfaces
> >*but* the loopback interface:
> >
> ># ifconfig lo0
> >lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
> >         inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
> >         inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
> >
> >Is there a way (other than ifconfig delete) to get rid of that address?
> >
> >Best regards,
> >Jean-Yves Lefort

I want to get rid of that address because I don't need autoconfiguration
since I manually assigned IPv6 addresses to all the hosts of my network.
Moreover, even if I wanted to use autoconfiguration, I think that the
loopback interface (the one which still keeps a link local address as
stated in my previous mail) really doesn't need autoconfiguration nor
neighbour discovery, since its address will _always_ be ::1/128.

I just wanted to know how to get rid of the lo0 link local address using
the *neat* way (if there is one), because deleting it in a boot script using
'ifconfig delete' doesn't seems to be a neat way for me.

Thanks for your help,
Jean-Yves Lefort