Date:      Mon, 1 May 2000 10:13:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:      James Snow <snow@teardrop.org>
To:        Ahmed Aden <adenbros@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: wrong root shell kicks me out when I login

On Mon, 1 May 2000, Ahmed Aden wrote:

> By accidentally specifying a bogus path when I did a 'chsh' as root, I
> managed to lock myself out of the 'root' account because as soon as I
> login, it kicks me out.  I tried to boot into single user mode with boot
> -s, but it won't let me write to any files in that mode, and that's the
> only mode I can access the 'root' account.  I'd rather not re-install the

I believe that in single-user mode the root partition is mounted read-only
by default. Do a 'mount /' or 'mount -a' and you should then be able to
edit root's login shell.

          o-( snow at teardrop dot org - I am Geek Hear me ^G )-o
          |  CBFC 702E 0F86 29C6 4386 16DD 6B0B 0D56 D77A 5CD5  |
          |  8B24 4914 605E BB0E 3E10 4A6C 261F 0BA0 386D 032A  |
          o-( We live in the short term and hope for the best )-o