Date:      Mon, 23 Nov 1998 00:36:10 -0800
From:      Eric Hodel <hodeleri@seattleu.edu>
To:        Richard Green <rgreen@rainbow.net.au>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NEWBIE: Boot problems

I'm forwarding this to questions because they'll best be able to help, but you
may need to specify 0:da(0,a)kernel instead of 0:sd(0,a)kernel.  Of course I
very very very highly doubt that this is the case, as the BIOS is unable to find
the boot code.  Is the partition with FreeBSD set active?  Usually, when you get
a "missing OS" error the bios is trying to find a bootable portion of the HDD,
and can't.

Its been so long since I've been playing with a system that said "missing OS"
that I can't remember what causes it, but you may want to check active
partitions and find just which device is supposed to be used with the 2940.  I
highly doubt that it is da0, as it can find that with the floppy, in fact,
forget I said that, use it last.

Eric Hodel
hodeleri@seattleu.edu