Date:      Wed, 6 Mar 1996 21:27:24 +0000 ()
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        Daniel.M.Obrien@att.com
Cc:        ejc@naserver1.cb.att.com, pst@shockwave.com, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, committers@FreeBSD.org, terry@lambert.org, jkh@time.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Paul's rules of order for committers (Re: -current submitting policys)

> I guess it is good that the ``fix'' is turned around quickly, but what bothers
> me is that I'm left with the feeling that the source submission process
> (source tree) is being used as a place to park changes rather than parking
> them locally (on developer's system), and compiling & soaking them on the
> developer's system.  (Thus bending Paul's unwritten rules above.)

Unfortunately, the problem that we have is that each developer has only
one, two, and perhaps fortunate ones have three systems to develop on.  The
VM changes that I added had been run on my system for about 2wks, and sent
them to another person for them to use for about 1wk.  Problems leak through,
and I try to fix the problems that I create very quickly.  I have some
(evil) soak tests that I run, much worse than the SVR4 tests that I used
to run at work (SVR4 would practically stop or break under the load that
I put my system under.)

-current is not the latest working code, but the latest attempted working
code.  Those that run -current in production need to track it very carefully
and grab stable copies.  We don't have a good, formal policy for backing
changes out, and I am willing to back the VM changes out in a few days if
the system continues to break.  In fact, it might be useful to pull a few
back one-by-one until the problems go away.  AFAIK, -stable is the only
"released" code.

John